Thursday, January 22, 2009

Getting Revelation -Part 8- Four Sevens

One more important parallel to note in scripture before examining the loosing of the seven seals beginning in chapter 6. In Revelation we find four sets of seven judgments unleashed upon the Jews: 7 seals, 7 trumpets, 7 thunders and 7 vials. A large part of Revelation describes the awful events which take place upon the land as these 4 sets of seven judgments are revealed.

This is an important scriptural parallel to the curses described in the Mosaic law in Leviticus 26:
But if ye will not hearken unto me, and will not do all these commandments;... (26:14)
..And if ye will not yet for all this hearken unto me, then I will punish you seven times more for your sins... (26:18)
...And if ye walk contrary unto me, and will not hearken unto me; I will bring seven times more plagues upon you according to your sins... (26:21)
...And if ye will not be reformed by me by these things, but will walk contrary unto me; Then will I also walk contrary unto you, and will punish you yet seven times for your sins... (26:24)
...And if ye will not for all this hearken unto me, but walk contrary unto me; Then I will walk contrary unto you also in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins... (26:28)
...These are the statutes and judgments and laws, which the LORD made between him and the children of Israel in mount Sinai by the hand of Moses. (26:46)

I recommend reading through the entire passage. When one reads the historical account of the great seige on Jerusalem and the great Jewish massacre from 66-70AD, the accuracy of the judgments foretold by Moses are striking.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 4 sets of seven judgments described in the book of Revelation caused the original recipients of the book, who in most cases knew the Torah to the letter, recall the 26th chapter of the book of Leviticus. They knew that the curses of those who broke the law were being detailed and that John was telling them that the final end of the Jewish nation (the original twelve tribes of Israel) was upon them.

In the next installment, we will examine the first set of seven judgments - the loosing of the seven scrolls in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment